Create Account Log In
pokedit
PokEdit Pocket for Apple
DNS: 023.239.001.212
go to GTS Menu
0
sylveon is flying type cakenalysis
The widespread speculation about a new Eevee evolution recently became a reality with the reveal of Sylveon. It was leaked in an issue of Corocoro magazine then on the Official Pokemon website shortly afterwards. We were given a short video, some official art, and a couple details about it’s physical attributes. But, probably the biggest piece of information that is still shrouded in darkness is what Type that Sylveon will be. After reading some heated debates from around the web and giving it some careful thought, I’ve decided to make my own prediction about which type Sylveon will be:
That type is FLYING.

This prediction assumes that there will not be any new Types in the upcoming games: Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. While I think it would be cool to have some new types; there’s already quite a colorful parade of types, so a new one is probably not likely.

Chart Argument
I’m going to start with the simplest part of my argument for a Flying Type Sylveon which is based on the Eevee Evolution chart that was release on the Official Pokemon website. Take a look at the picture below and notice of the Type combinations that are directly across from one another in the chart.
eevee evolution chart

The Evolution Types on the right side of the chart are all super effective against their across types on the left.

Fire (Flareon) is super effective against Ice (Glaceon).
Dark (Umbreon) is super effective against Psychic (Espeon).
Grass (Leafeon) is super effective against Water (Vaporeon).

If this trend is accurate, then whatever Sylveon’s Type is will be either super effective against Electric or Electric will be super effective against it. The only possible type that is super effective against Electric is Ground (because it’s unused by other Eevee Forms). Based on Sylveon’s design, weight, and so on; I think it could be safe to assume that it isn’t Ground Type (I could be wrong, but that would be a weird Ground Type Pokemon). That leaves us with Flying Type:

Electric (Jolteon) is super effective against Flying (Sylveon).

I don’t know who originally pointed this out, so I can’t really give anyone credit for it.

Weight Argument
This argument is fairly simple; Sylveon is the lightest of all Eevee Evolutions. This might not sound like great evidence, but Flying Type Pokemon are generally lighter than other Pokemon. I mean, there’s not a lot of Pokemon in the upper tiers if you sort them by weight. Here’s a list of all Eevee Evolutions sorted by their weight (from Heaviest to Lightest).

Vaporeon - 63.9 lbs (29.0 kg)
Umbreon - 59.5 lbs (27.0 kg)
Espeon - 58.4 lbs (26.5 kg)
Glaceon - 57.1 lbs (25.9 kg)
Leafeon - 56.2 lbs (25.5 kg)
Flareon - 55.1 lbs (25.0kg)
Jolteon - 54.0 lbs (24.5 kb)
Sylveon - 51.8 lbs (23.5kg)

As you can see, Sylveon is a decent amount of pounds less than all other Eevee Evolutions. Sylveon is also tied with Leafeon, Umbreon, and Vaporeon as the tallest of the forms.

Name Argument
Sylveon’s name seems to indicate that it’s based on a flying creature. So, let’s take a look at some of it’s names across a few languages:

Sylveon (English, Spanish, and Italian name)
Nymphali (French name)
Nymphia (Japanese name)
(originally thought to be Ninfia, but “ ニンフィア” can easily be translated to Nymphia)

Let’s start off by taking a look at the English, Spanish, and Italian names. The “Sylv” part of the name seems to refer to a Sylph. In the occult philosophy of Paracelsus, a Sylph is a class of imaginary beings assumed to inhabit the air (usually depicted as women). If the name is actually based off of a Sylph, then being Flying type would make good sense.
sylveon is a sylph

I think the French and Japanese names are even more revealing though. They seem to obviously be based on a Nymph from Greek and Roman Mythology. Nymph are often depicted with wings; flying around like fairies. A Pokemon based off a Nymph or Fairly is probably going to be Flying Type.

ninfia is a nymph

I’ve seen people arguing that the Sylv is actually coming from the word “sylvan” which pertains to the woods, trees, or inhabiting the forest. But, this is highly unlikely due to the Nymph in the French and Japanese names.

Nymphali is a nymph

Some other bits and pieces
If you watch the official video, you’ll notice that Sylveon’s ribbon looking things are blowing around which could indicate some kind of wind. Wind would be seen as relating to Flying Type.

The little bow tie things on Sylveon could also be interpreted as looking like butterflies.

Make sure to let me know what you think about this speculation. The Sylveon art that I made flying thru the forest was originally made by Xous54.

Sylveon Fan Art Gallery #1 Sylveon Fan Art Gallery #2

93 Comments
post a comment
A VERY valid arguement. I agree.
You misspelled Sylveon under the Chart Argument
Chart Argument
I’m going to start with the simplest part of my argument for a Flying Type Syleveon which is based on the Eevee Evolution chart that was release on the Official Pokemon website. Take a look at the picture below and notice of the Type combinations that are directly across from one another in the chart.
Hariyama, Gligar, and Krookidile are shown in the video, right? Well, Hariyama is weak to Syleon, Gligar is the damges Syleon normally, and Krookidle ha no effect to Syleon.
@143851 fixed the spelling.

That is interesting about the Pokemon Sylveon is battling. What is your conclusion based on that?
She's a Flying type
143851 wrote:
She's a Flying type
Kinda odd how feminine it is, yet the gender ratio is 7:1 male:female .-.
Kinda like Gardevoir
143851 wrote:
Kinda like Gardevoir
Yeah, even chances of male or female ._.
Makes sense for Ralts and Kirlia, but it's really awkward that there can still be male Gardevoir after Gallade was introduced.
Ivy wrote:
143851 wrote:
Kinda like Gardevoir
Yeah, even chances of male or female ._.
Makes sense for Ralts and Kirlia, but it's really awkward that there can still be male Gardevoir after Gallade was introduced.

I never really thought about that before... that is really werid. sick
tumblr_lqo4sqii3V1qg64yno1_500.jpg
lol. funny comic wah
miker
Ivy wrote:
143851 wrote:
She's a Flying type
Kinda odd how feminine it is, yet the gender ratio is 7:1 male:female .-.
maybe it can only evolve into sylveon if its female, and perhaps another eeveelution is male. possibly a ground type
tungztenarrow
Sylveon is either a bug-type or a flying-type. But I'm leaning more toward BUG-type. Eeveelution names have a lot to do with their type.

English/Italian/Spanish name: Sylveon
Derived from the butterfly species "Parthenos sylvia"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenos_sylvia
It has bug-like eyes and butterfly bows similar to the basic wing shape of the Parthenos sylvia.
If Sylveon is based on the word "sylph"--why the name Sylveon and not Sylpheon instead?

French name: Nymphali
Based on the largest family of diurnal butterflies, which is "Nymphalidae."

Japanese name: Ninfia / Nymphia
Ninfa - a butterfly conservatory
Nymph - an inserct larva

German name: Feelinara
Derived from "Feelina" which is a German board game involving butterflies.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38514/feelina
@tungztennarrow

Good argument. I'll give you credit for that. Bug type does seem fairly feasable.
...
as much as it doesnt make sense, i think sylveon could be poison or fighting.  my main reasoning is that all eeveelutions have a type advantage over atleast one other eeveelution, all except espeon.  the  only types that are weak to psychic are poison and fighting, nintendo may be giving espeon a type advantage.

however, i originally thought that sylveon was going to be a flying type, so idk.  when i first saw sylveon, i thought skyla for what ever reason.
hurrdurr
I was thinking that it will be a flying type also, but I wanted to state it is possible to be a steel type....not sure why, but it seems sleek and sylveon and silver.....just a thought because I totally think its flying also
hurrdurr
also ribbons on its body futtering around like those things little girls play with...I'm going to assume flying type...unless they make "Fairy" or "light" a type to upset the dark and ghost types....I've always thought they would but Idk
^_^ pokefan p_p
Very nicely thought p_p I would +1 if i had an account here ^_^
I'm really hoping it's a flying type, for the fact that if it was bug or something they could have made it look much cooler for that typing. And I would lean towards a normal type but why do a normal type right now if eevee is normal?
pokelolz 229
if you go from its japaneses name it is ninfu which is closest to nymph which would make it bug in biological terms but in mythology terms it would be ghost type
Twilight_Sonata
I kind of like this article for collecting all of the crappy, crappy reasons that people are giving for Syveon being Flying type and displaying them all in one place. I'm not going to argue the Weight thing, because I think we all know that that alone is inconclusive anyway, but the other two arguments are deeply flawed.

The Chart Argument is an example of looking for a pattern where there is none. Rather, the true pattern behind that chart is simple and should be really obvious: Pokedex Number. Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon are picted from left to right by Pokedex number, then Espeon and Umbreon are listed from left to right by Pokedex number, and then Leafeon and Glaceon are listed from left to tight by Pokedex number. That this results in some type effectiveness coincidences is nothing but just that, coincidence.

As for the Name Argument, the people trying to tell you that it comes from "Sylvan" are completely correct. The reason that you're not seeing how that connects to Sylveon's name in other languages is that you're missing how the descriptor of "Sylvan" is usually used. Yes, it mean of or residing in the woodlands, but what you've overlooked is that the word is very commonly used to describe mythological woodland fey, such as Nymphs and Faeries and Elves and so on. Nymphs and Faeries are Sylvan creatures. Just look at how other RPGs, particularly fantasy RPGs, use the word. In Dungeons and Dragons, "Sylvan" is the language of the fey. In Lord of the Rings, forest elves are refered to as Sylvan. In Heroes of Might and Magic, "Sylvan" is a faction pramarily including mythical woodland creatures such as Elves and Faeries.
With this connection drawn, there's no good reason to believe that Sylveon's name would be a corruption of "Sylph" when "Sylvan" already fits perfectly well without need for corruption.
@Twilight_Sonata

That sounds nice. But, just saying the arguments are crappy doesn't seem to invalidate them. Maybe the weight argument is incorrect, but everything about that position is factual.

Everyone knows that this pattern in the Eevee chart is just specualtion. As I said, this article is entirely speculation. But, assuming that it's only sorted by PokeDex number is also an assumtion. The types are listed on the chart and Sylveon's is the only one missing (which makes the types the focal point of the chart in my opion). The Pokemon company always slides in little tips and hints as they build up to their official reveals, so I don't think it would be strange at all for them to craft something in that manner.

Your statement about the name seems to agree with my point. Whether it's based of Sylvan or Sylph seems to get you to the same conclusion (especially if you do that little maneuver to get it's definition to end up the same as Sylph or Nymph). If it's based off a fairly/nymph or whatever, it seems reasonable to conclude the type could be Flying. I could also see reason to speculate Bug or Ghost type too.  But, this article was about the particular speculation about Flying type. I could probably write an article speculating every other type as well, but flying seems to be the most interesting.
Twilight_Sonata
I don't have any problem with speculation. I'm not even saying that I don't think Sylveon will be a Flying type. It may very well be. I have no idea. I think it might be kind of neat, even though I'd prefer Normal. What I think is dumb, though, are the arguments that people are trying to make to -justify- it. You don't need to justify your speculations at this point because there's nothing to justify, and indeed trying to justify just means that you have to open yourself to the very bad reasoning displayed here, grasping at straws.

Sylveon being based on a nymph, fairy, or other sylvan creature -could- lead you to the conclusion that it's Flying, but it could just as easily lead to plenty of other things, so how can that be used as justification? Heck, Clefairy is a Normal type, so why not Normal instead? The problem with this kind of phony reasoning is that it gets so many people so riled up and so confidant when the reality is that we have no idea.

Now, to be absolutely fair, it was pointed out to me that I was mistaken and that Leafeon and Glacion are actually reversed on the offical graphic. Make no mistake, however, pointing to that graphic as justification for typing is still going to be a losing argument. For example, if you -must- look for such a type effectiveness pattern in that graphic, then how would they have conveyed if Sylveon was going to be a Normal type? Or a Dragon type? They couldn't. This pattern that people have found was a pattern that only existed because people were looking for a pattern.
@Twilight_Sonata

I agree with your points. There's really just one part of it that I don't agree with. That's the part that it's dumb or "wrong" to make perdictions based on patterns and crumbs of "evidence". It might not be very accurate, but I think it makes it fun (and who knows, it might actually be correct! lol). And I also get to have discussions like this where I can learn other people opinions and see their own speculations. I did tag this article with "Speculation" and "Rumor" too, so I think it's fair. Might not be the best journalism, but this is just a Pokemon website after all. mmm
pokemega32
"Nymph are often depicted with wings; flying around like fairies."

Since when? I had never seen a nymph depicted as having wings before I went searching through images just now, and very few of them showed them with wings.

"I’ve seen people arguing that the Sylv is actually coming from the word “sylvan” which pertains to the woods, trees, or inhabiting the forest. But, this is highly unlikely due to the Nymph in the French and Japanese names."

So it's named after a creature that lives in the forest, therefore it's unlikely that it's name includes a term for something that lives in a forest? Your logic is completely backwards and nonsensical.
@pokemega32

Not all Nymphs are depicted with wings, but I'm pretty sure that they can fly (maybe using magic). That could possibly explain why Sylveon could fly even without any wings.

Yeah know, the name could be based off Sylvan, but like I said to Twilight_Sonata, I think that logic ends up taking you back to something like a Sylph anyways (because of the Nymph reference in the other names). I don't know if the forest has anything to do with it's etomogloy, so I kind of disregared that definition. Although, I have seen some people using that meaning to argue that Sylveon could be Ground Type (which is part of why I dismissed it, because I don't think it matters and I don't think it's going to be Ground Type).

Since my oppion is apparently nonsensical, what type do you think Sylveon will be?
You guys are getting all riled up over this. I wonder who will be proven correct come October...
Ivy wrote:
You guys are getting all riled up over this. I wonder who will be proven correct come October...

Yeah, but I think it's mostly civil. I would like to see someone write a rebuttal or an indepth analysis on another type. I'd let them post it on the site if they wanted too.
Kyle
I have two theories regarding this subject One: dragon type I believe that sylveon is going to be a dragon type due to its mythical appearance. Dragonair can fly in the anime, so maybe this pokemon can fly, but can't use fly if you get what I mean. Look at shiny dratini, it's colors are the exact same as sylveon, coincidence? Perhaps it's ribbons give it dragon powers or something. Idk Second theory: it's a bug AND flying type 1) who's says the game designers won't throw us a curve ball and have the first dual type eeveelution 2) no eeveelution has been released without at least one more type to compliment it. So maybe it is a mix of bug and flying 3) idk which I believe more regarding the name: bug or flying. So perhaps the name could reference both? 4) it could be flying as its primary type (based on its appearance) and bug as its secondary typing (based on the "butterfly bows" and naming) Idk what do you guys think?
@Kyle

that's an interesting analysis. I dabbled a little into the thought of Sylveon being dragon type, but cound't come up with anything as good as your reasons. big-smile That could be really cool to have a Dragon Type Eevee evolution. Although, I might have chosen a different design for a Dragon type one.

I think it's possible that Sylveon could be Bug type too. That would be some curve ball if it was a Bug AND Flying type. I'm up for anything though.
11111199999999
sylveon could possibly be a flying type, or dragon type. lets think about how sylveon looks like though. sylveon does have those long things on his/her head. they could possibly turn into wings though, indicating sylveon as a dragon type. the bows can also take a turn for the dragon type actually. the bows can possibly be another thing of wings would indicate four wings. if you look at it though the long thing on him/her (the big wings) would be an indication of the dragon type eeveeloution but the bows that could detatch from the body and attatch to the sides(which would be the small wings), could indicate sylveon has a basic flying type. could this mean that sylveon is a two type (dragon and flying type) eeveeloution?





interestedlol
Is that last picture of the fairy with her back showing from berserk: the cataclysm? or can you tell me where you found that picture? xD
interestedlol wrote:
Is that last picture of the fairy with her back showing from berserk: the cataclysm? or can you tell me where you found that picture? xD

Found it from Googling around. Just image search with it and you'll find something. 
hopeful enthusiast
Honestly, its a valid and sound argument, but i am HOPING for a new type in the new generation. it'll help spice up the horribly unimaginative pokemon that are sure to show up. There are always a few in every generation, even more so for this past generation.
Pixie
Nymphs are usually more closely associated with water and trees/plants than they are flying; they're rarely depicted with wings. Rather than fairies, they're spirits/deities associated with natural features. The most commonly known nymphs are probably the nereids (sea nymphs), naiads (fresh water nymphs), and dryads (tree nymphs). There are some winged nymphs (the aurae, for example, which are wind nymphs), but these are pretty obscure. You're going to see a nymph standing in a pool or against a tree much more often than you are anything else; most winged depictions are just the result of modern artists mistakenly mixing them up with fairies.

But it's obviously not going to be a water or a grass type because we've already got those. IF the "sylv" comes from "sylph," it's vaguely possible that they're invoking the aurae with the "nymph" in the other languages' names, but that's still very unlikely. It is also just as likely that it comes from "sylvan" which, as has been pointed out, could be referencing mythical sylvan creatures rather than the forest itself. Looking at all the names, I am somewhat leaning toward bug type at this point (nymphs = immature larvae that resemble the adult bug but generally _without_ wings; bug nymphs that are aquatic are sometimes called naiads). Flying's still possible though.
Trolling_Along
There will be 2 new pokemon types: rubber and fabric. Sylveon will be fabric type. The razor-like ribbons will be used to cut opponents. Also, there will be NPC's that wear fabric-type pokemon around their necks as a new fashion statement. Rubber type pokemon will often be a steel/rubber dual type and will be like cars. Also, you will hear Transformers music whenever they evolve... well, in your head you will. I mean, who wouldn't?

So what will be the weaknesses and resistance?

Fabric:
weaknesses - fire, grass, bug, ground (all obvious, I think)
resistances - fighting, electric, dragon (armor against fighting and dragon, not a conductor of electricity)
super effective against - dragon, water (dragon needs another freakin weakness, and water kinda does too... these are kinda random though)
not very effective against - rubber, rock, ground, steel (all obvious, I think)

Rubber:
weaknesses - ice, psychic, normal (ice obvious, psychic can distort the rubber, and normal needs something to be strong against. can argue that normal wear and tear wears down rubber)
resistances - fire, fighting, dragon (fire obvious, fighting probably obvious and that and dragon need to be a little more controlled)
immunity - electric, poison (both obvious, I think, and since they're commonly paired with steel, who cares about poison immunity here?)
super effective against - fire, electric (stops them right in their tracks)
not very effective against - normal, ice, rock, steel (normal has an immunity, but needs this resistance. others obvious, I think)
does not work against - ghost (yes, I gave them a 3rd immunity. how can rubber share the title of most immunities with ghost???)

ganglamb style62
in sylveon fan art gallery #1 & #2, there's 2 bows, so im thinking they turn into wing blades or somethin.
ganglamb style62
Doubt they would repeat the eeveeloution ( don't care if spelled wrong ) types again. There's 19 types ( I think... ) including rubber & fabric, and there's 11 types left... IDK
ganglamb style62 wrote:
Doubt they would repeat the eeveeloution ( don't care if spelled wrong ) types again. There's 19 types ( I think... ) including rubber & fabric, and there's 11 types left... IDK

helped ya out. smile
arcues
i totally agree

pinda
The bows on sylveon and the streemers/ribbons remind me of a kite. The way they moved in the video make it seem like they represnt those from the way they move. I think it's flying, dragonair looks like a dragon where as sylveon doesn't at least to me. If it is to be dual type I think it will definintley be flying and something else, if it's not I'm shooting for flying.
Lala<3
Whoever said it could be a dragon type, I sort of disagree. In one of the videos released its shown using swift, and no dragon types are know to know swift, or be able to be taught it. I'm thinking flying or bug.
Cake wrote:
@pokemega32

Not all Nymphs are depicted with wings, but I'm pretty sure that they can fly (maybe using magic). That could possibly explain why Sylveon could fly even without any wings.

Someone else beat me to it, but nymphs are rarely ever associated with wings or flight. They are more commonly associated with nature in general, with the most common of them being the nerieds and naiads, which were ocean and pond guardians. The over all "faeriefolk" category they get pushed into in the common era stems from things like Dungeons & Dragons and other such fantasy games or media, but I don't believe they ever get depicted with wings in such things, because even there they retain their connection to nature or the ocean, not flight the way pixies and sprites are.

I've no personal speculation as to what type Ninfia/Sylveon is, as every argument that has been made has taken a thread or two of the facts we do know and woven plausible arguments for the type the poster or fan prefers Ninfia to be. What would I prefer? Normal-type, personally, but that's me. Do I think Normal, Flying, Bug and a few other types are plausible, though? Most definitely.
Neko-Chan
I personally think it is a bug type. The name is the biggest hint due to the parthenos sylvia butterfly. They have never switched the first part of the names before.
Vapor-eon
Jolt-eon
Flare-eon
ESP-eon
Umbr(a)-eon
Glac(ier)-eon
Leaf-eon
So why would they change Sylph to Sylv?

Your point about it being lighter can also mean that it is a bug type seeing as there are quite a few light bug types as well.

Most flying types are more bland in color. The only ones that are brighter color are ones that are ones that are not normal-flying. Another thing is that those bows on it look more like butterflies. The Pokemon team knows what bows look like, they've done them on Gothita an it's evolutions. Finally, the ribbons on it remind me of the tails of swallowtail butterflies.


I also feel like Sylveon won't be the only new Eeveelution. They haven't released just one before and each time they do, one has a strong advantage to the other. Bug types are strong against Grass, Psychic, and Dark and we already have all of those, that means that the other eeveelution would probably be strong against bug types. We already have a fire type which means that if the Pokemon team follows the same patterns that they have had in the past, the other eeveelution would be either a flying type or a rock type. I feel like it would be more likely to get a rock type seeing as we have yet to see a pure flying type, though with this new game, we may see one.
Chris
tungztenarrow wrote:
Sylveon is either a bug-type or a flying-type. But I'm leaning more toward BUG-type. Eeveelution names have a lot to do with their type.

English/Italian/Spanish name: Sylveon
Derived from the butterfly species "Parthenos sylvia"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenos_sylvia
It has bug-like eyes and butterfly bows similar to the basic wing shape of the Parthenos sylvia.
If Sylveon is based on the word "sylph"--why the name Sylveon and not Sylpheon instead?

French name: Nymphali
Based on the largest family of diurnal butterflies, which is "Nymphalidae."

Japanese name: Ninfia / Nymphia
Ninfa - a butterfly conservatory
Nymph - an inserct larva

German name: Feelinara
Derived from "Feelina" which is a German board game involving butterflies.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38514/feelina

I'd like to point out that the word "Sylph," as in the mythological creatures, is based on the Latin word 'sylvestris', ‘of the woods’ nympha nymph,' further relating the Pokemon to a flying type.
Paul Sack
I want to make an arguemnt both for and against Sylveon being a flying type.

Pro - Everything mentioned above plus if you look closely at its tail it lookes feathered, or at least bird like. you would think for a bug type they would use a different tail. Its eyes look like a piolet's flight goggles, and its ears are shockingly similar to one fan-art post of an Eeveelution that was flyint gype. 
http://25.media.tumblr.com/16295606b72f188ec696df46f42646d4/tumblr_mfqiursEr11rw7u8ro1_500.jpg

Con - How does it stay airborn if it is a flying type. think of it in the practicle use of the game, how does it stay aloft in mid air? it is shown battling in a forest like scene in the official video, which mean it could be a poison type. 
Paul Sack wrote:
Con - How does it stay airborn if it is a flying type. think of it in the practicle use of the game, how does it stay aloft in mid air? it is shown battling in a forest like scene in the official video, which mean it could be a poison type. 
You'd be surprised at the amount of Pokemon that look like they shouldn't fly yet are Flying. (Tornadus, Doduo, Hoothoot, Natu, Delibird, Rufflet, Vullaby, and more)
thebestpersonever
sylveon.hmmm................................how would that work. lets see. i'll change that name.lets see...um........sylpheon would make more sense. would it not?
guest3435453
the chart argument is weak, but you've made a believer out of me. Sylveon could still be a normal type. Why would Eevee, the evolution pokemon, be unable to evolve into normal type?
guest3435453
Those ribbons must make it hard to fly let alone fight. If they were pinwheels, then totally flying type.  If Sylveon is a flying type, I'd think it would use flying type moves like an Airbender.  There are no bug type pokemon that don't look like a bug
CheyRaye
I've personally trying to decipher the type of Sylveon. Whenever they announce a new Eeveeolution, there is always two, not counting the first game. Although the flying and bug type arguments are good, I personally believe that it is simply NORMAL type. I'm not sure where the male/female ratio came from because I've yet to see that. But if it is what I believe, then another evolution will come out as male. I mean, many of you have discussed how it looks super feminine... Again, just my opinion. The creators usually make them look pretty close to their type, but this one just looks super feminine and cute, like Skitty and Eevee.
ImAnEasel
Sylveon being a flying type is a very plausible theory.  There's certainly a lot of pretty solid (ish) evidence to back it up.  However, I think it's also quite possible that it could be a ghost type.  The attacks it used in the video seemed very ghost-like to me.  I also think it would make quite a creepy ghost type, due to it's super-innocent appearance.  Oh and I also read somewhere that one of the definitions of sylph, or sylv, or sylvan (can't remember which one) means SPIRIT of the forest, also indicating a ghost type.  But I do think it could also be a new type, like fairy, or wind/air (because of the wind blowing around it in the video).  Erm... yeah.  Those are my theories. :)
eevee clad
sylveon is probley shares powers with xerneas
JustASC
Um, I too believe sylveon is a flying type, but you got your information very, very wrong about the Greek and Roman nymphs. The vast majority of them are NOT depicted with wings at all. The nymphs were nature spirits, some inhabiting bodies of water (mermaids essentially), some inhabiting the air (the only ones depicted with wings, and often not even then), but mostly inhabiting forests and meadows (dryads, oreads, meliads, etc.). Furthermore, "nymph" is also used to refer to the young of some insects, such as grasshoppers. Join all of that with "sylv" possibly coming from "sylvan", and one could make a strong case for sylveon being a bug type. That said, I very much think it's a flying type, but I'm really not sure where you got your information on nymphs from.
Nixeu
JustASC wrote:
Um, I too believe sylveon is a flying type, but you got your information very, very wrong about the Greek and Roman nymphs. The vast majority of them are NOT depicted with wings at all. The nymphs were nature spirits, some inhabiting bodies of water (mermaids essentially), some inhabiting the air (the only ones depicted with wings, and often not even then), but mostly inhabiting forests and meadows (dryads, oreads, meliads, etc.). Furthermore, "nymph" is also used to refer to the young of some insects, such as grasshoppers. Join all of that with "sylv" possibly coming from "sylvan", and one could make a strong case for sylveon being a bug type. That said, I very much think it's a flying type, but I'm really not sure where you got your information on nymphs from.
As an obscure little fact, Sylvan, derived from Sylv-, can also be an inhabitant of a forest...especially a spirit inhabiting a forest. So you could argue it'll be ghost-type. Makes about as much sense as bug, given the appearance. No, I think in this case, he's right, but for (mostly) the wrong reasons, especially in his name analysis.
Iamnotapokephile
I believe there will be a new type: Light. It makes perfect sense to me, because of yveltal and xerneas. I think that light and dark will both be supereffective against each other, and I also believe that Sylveon will be a light type. I dont give a crap what the name implies, because umbreon and espeon make no sense either (i guess espeon makes a little sense). Nevertheless, I still think Sylveon was a hint that there will be a new type, because if someone told me that could fly, I would set his pants on fire (liar, liar, pants on fire). Touching on the weight topic, a difference of 2 pounds means absolutely nothing. Have you ever held a hawk or eagle? Its about the same size as a cat, and a cat weighs about twice as much.

Im just saying. I dont care what you think so gtfo and just wait to play the game because there's no point in speculating when you could just wait for the diffinitive answer.
Bliss
I honestly already guessed flying from the start. I keep hearing others guess normal from the colors alone. But for nearly all of the same reasons you mentioned, my top guess is still flying. Now just to wait and see who's right in the end, I guess.
ThePhilosopher
I know it is a total speculation, but lately I have been thinking of another interpretation of the chart. What if the arrows actually refer to the effectiveness relations between eevee and its eevloutions? All the arrows pointing towards the already known eevolutions are grey, which means that the effect of a normal-type (as eevee's type) move is normal on all the other eevlutions. The red arrow pointing towards sylveon might mean that in that case normal moves are super-effective against it. There is no type that is weak against normal, so that would be the evidence that sylveon is the key to introducing the 18th type. Of course i'm just drawing inspiration from the rumor that a new type would have been revealed in the 6th generation. But after all, if it weren't so, I wonder why they don't want to reveal Sylveon's type yet?
nikorasurealm
What about Ghost-type?? I haven't seen people poundering that idea and I think Ghost type is a very plausible possibility for this evolution since fairies are ghost-like, magical, or spirit creatures and judging by its looks (the "floating" scarfs and the huge  eyes).
The other possibility would be Normal-type since most of the normal-type pokemon are fairy-ish and pink and stuff. And I personally think that if its flying-type it would be really stupid....Bug and Dragon? No way, again it would be stupid.
nikorasurealm
Or.....I have also heard about some new types, it could be a new type evolution. (About normal-type-evolution: I think an evolution of this kind would be more "eevee-ish" like a upgraded and stronger form of Eevee).
seen
Neko-Chan wrote:
I personally think it is a bug type. The name is the biggest hint due to the parthenos sylvia butterfly. They have never switched the first part of the names before.
Vapor-eon
Jolt-eon
Flare-eon
EwwwSP-eon
Umbr(a)-eon
Glac(ier)-eon
Leaf-eon
So why would they change Sylph to Sylv?

Your point about it being lighter can also mean that it is a bug type seeing as there are quite a few light bug types as well.

Most flying types are more bland in color. The only ones that are brighter color are ones that are ones that are not normal-flying. Another thing is that those bows on it look more like butterflies. The Pokemon team knows what bows look like, they've done them on Gothita an it's evolutions. Finally, the ribbons on it remind me of the tails of swallowtail butterflies.


I also feel like Sylveon won't be the only new Eeveelution. They haven't released just one before and each time they do, one has a strong advantage to the other. Bug types are strong against Grass, Psychic, and Dark and we already have all of those, that means that the other eeveelution would probably be strong against bug types. We already have a fire type which means that if the Pokemon team follows the same patterns that they have had in the past, the other eeveelution would be either a flying type or a rock type. I feel like it would be more likely to get a rock type seeing as we have yet to see a pure flying type, though with this new game, we may see one.
actually tornadus is a pure flying type :=)
Hebwjgdbhg
Hum... Nymphali? Hum, i guess it look like nymphe, but the nymphes(don't know how the heck it is call in english so french it will be) dont have wings at all, they are forest creatures, trees and stuff. They are beautiful women, nothing about wings and fly abilities
Dragoenix
Iamnotapokephile wrote:
I believe there will be a new type: Light. It makes perfect sense to me, because of yveltal and xerneas. I think that light and dark will both be supereffective against each other, and I also believe that Sylveon will be a light type. I dont give a crap what the name implies, because umbreon and espeon make no sense either (i guess espeon makes a little sense). Nevertheless, I still think Sylveon was a hint that there will be a new type, because if someone told me that could fly, I would set his pants on fire (liar, liar, pants on fire). Touching on the weight topic, a difference of 2 pounds means absolutely nothing. Have you ever held a hawk or eagle? Its about the same size as a cat, and a cat weighs about twice as much.

Im just saying. I dont care what you think so gtfo and just wait to play the game because there's no point in speculating when you could just wait for the diffinitive answer.

Umbreon and Espeon make no sense?

Umbreon comes from Umbra.

Define Umbra:
1.
shade; shadow.
2.
the invariable or characteristic accompaniment or companion of a person or thing.
3.
Astronomy .
a.
the complete or perfect shadow of an opaque body, as a planet, where the direct light from the source of illumination is completely cut off. Compare penumbra (  def 1a ) .
b.
the dark central portion of a sunspot. Compare penumbra (  def 1b ) .
4.
a phantom or shadowy apparition, as of someone or something not physically present; ghost; spectral image.

Espeon comes from ESP.

ESP stands for Extrasensory Perception.

Define Extrasensory Perception:


Noun
The faculty of perceiving things by means other than the known senses, e.g., by telepathy or clairvoyance.
w0uter
there doesn't exist a pokemon yet with only flying-type. It has always been flying/normal, which i don't like because fight wouldn't be super-effective. So it could also be a normal/flying type.
StephTheEpic
I hope Sylveon is a flying so i can have a team of eeveelutions
eeveethought
I think the name has to do with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvioidea.

If there is a relationship, it would be a flying type.

cefal
Sylveon is Normal type evolution based on victories in beatu contest.
I want a new type just because well havnt all the old types been around a long time so once you think about it it is almost the last game i mean wont z mean THE END OF POKEMON because z is the end of the alphabet and it may be the last BETTER ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN THIS MAY BE THE END OF POKEMON FOREVER!
cool kid
Sylve
Actually, I'd like a new type, just because such a big mystery has never been created around a Pokemon's type, and it would be a bit deluding, to discover Sylveon to be just a flying-type, a quite regular one; I know its appearance and its names make flying-type almost sure, but at least I do hope for something like a light-type. However, I have just seen what appears to be one of the more consistent proofs of Sylveon being a Flying-type: an image about the short in the 16th movie shows alla the eevolutions in circles, and Sylveon's circle has a pattern in which  clear symbol of wing has been inserted. You can see it here, though I think you already know. The symbol I consider to be a wing is in the bottom of Sylveon's circle, on the right.
http://pokemonmillennium.progaming.it/images/news/sylveon1_2013_04_18_0857.png

pokemon FAN ^.^
you guys are realy stupid just wait to see if she's a bug or flying or what ever.
you guys are very true but what if the people who made the game are looking on her to prove all of u wrong ?? >.>
and f.y.i bugs are strong agianst grass so it could be both

 I believe that it is most most likely going to be a Flying type, but it would be cool if it turned out to be a Poison type. I mean think about it. It looks cute, therefore it could draw you in & then poison you.
PokeMad
It's just speculation obviously, but maybe the butterflies on it are what make it fly?
ramdomperson
  maybe it could be a farie type because it has alot of things to do with faries and pink makes me think of faries, they could retype a few pokemon like clefable, victini,manaphy and/or skitty and some of the pokemon moves. maybe farie is weak to electric types and may have a few normal weaknesses too like fighting and will be un effected by ghost types because normal typed dont have advantages. i believe light and sound types are new types and here neads to be a 3rd if they are havin a w or z pokemon game
xx-staraptor_fan-xx
I don't think there's going to be a new type. I mean, six generations in and a new type? That's kinda stupid. Logic-defying, if you ask me. Most likely Flying-type. Though those ribbon things remind me of Reshiram. Heh. (Though Sylveon's WAAAYYYY too girly to be Dragon-type.) I bet they'll just make it a Flying type. Bug type = No. Way. All bug-types look like bugs, as has already been said, which rules Bug-type out. Normal = Possibility, though Eevee is known for evolving into different types. Why ruin the novelty of it? Poison = Poison types are usually dark blue, purple, etc. Not Sylveon's colours. Ground = Hmmm... All I'm going to say on this is 'WRONG COLOURS FOR A GROUND TYPE, MAN. If this IS A ground-type, way to ruin the traditional colours...' Flying = YEESSSSHHHHH!!! Yesh. Yesh. YESH. And are Fabric and Rubber really going to be new types? I don't think so. If they are, the Pokemon Company is really going downhill. I mean, there could be a Stealth type. But RUBBER? Seriously?
I think it will be Fairy-type.
Poke' Woman wrote:
I think it will be Fairy-type.

Yeah, me too. It is 100% fairy type. This article was written quite a while back. And, I did state this near the beginning of it:

"This prediction assumes that there will not be any new Types in the upcoming games: Pokemon X and Pokemon Y."

So, the whole article is irrelevant because there is a new type. lol.
Cake wrote:
Poke' Woman wrote:
I think it will be Fairy-type.

Yeah, me too. It is 100% fairy type. This article was written quite a while back. And, I did state this near the beginning of it:

"This prediction assumes that there will not be any new Types in the upcoming games: Pokemon X and Pokemon Y."

So, the whole article is irrelevant because there is a new type. lol.
Yeah, it was a joke LOL. XD
@Cake

 She just dooped you. XD
RadicalBrendan! wrote:
@Cake

 She just dooped you. XD

lol. yeah. I just wanted to point that out.
Cake wrote:
RadicalBrendan! wrote:
@Cake

 She just dooped you. XD

lol. yeah. I just wanted to point that out.

 Oh I know man. I just found it funny. wah
Milia
Everyone is SO Wrong! They are like I KNOW that there isn't a new type. But in the end, she was a fairy type, the new type!
Milia wrote:
Everyone is SO Wrong! They are like I KNOW that there isn't a new type. But in the end, she was a fairy type, the new type!
Well, they said that if there is no new type, what would it be? And you can never be 100% sure about what hasn't happened yet unless you're a game developer or whatnot.
... wrote:
as much as it doesnt make sense, i think sylveon could be poison or fighting.  my main reasoning is that all eeveelutions have a type advantage over atleast one other eeveelution, all except espeon.  the  only types that are weak to psychic are poison and fighting, nintendo may be giving espeon a type advantage.

however, i originally thought that sylveon was going to be a flying type, so idk.  when i first saw sylveon, i thought skyla for what ever reason.
For the weakness of physic, it is wrong. Physic is weak to dark and ghost, and physic has an advantage over fighting. Poison is normal damage.
 I'm still laughing at far off we were about Sylveon's type. XD
XxMewxX wrote:
... wrote:
as much as it doesnt make sense, i think sylveon could be poison or fighting.  my main reasoning is that all eeveelutions have a type advantage over atleast one other eeveelution, all except espeon.  the  only types that are weak to psychic are poison and fighting, nintendo may be giving espeon a type advantage.

however, i originally thought that sylveon was going to be a flying type, so idk.  when i first saw sylveon, i thought skyla for what ever reason.
For the weakness of physic, it is wrong. Physic is weak to dark and ghost, and physic has an advantage over fighting. Poison is normal damage.
Psychic-type (monotype):

Moves are-
Good against: Fighting, Poison
Not very effective against: Steel, Psychic
Don't affect: Dark

Type is-
Bad against: Dark, Bug, Ghost
Resistant to: Fighting, Psychic
Hebwjgdbhg wrote:
Hum... Nymphali? Hum, i guess it look like nymphe, but the nymphes(don't know how the heck it is call in english so french it will be) dont have wings at all, they are forest creatures, trees and stuff. They are beautiful women, nothing about wings and fly abilities
Changed the language a tad.
OldNerd
Did you think about an Eevee Ghost who levitate?. A flying eevee without wings doesn't look like a flying type. Maybe thinking of a Ghost may change your way of your perspective.

Now I've too go to bulbapedia and check her specie.
oldnerd2
Ok, I saw it was a fairy type, new race you think. The other who is showed in generation II as ??? in abilities or eggs is Shadow type. Arceus and many other pokemons has this ??? ability.

Fairy that does 2x dmg on dragon types does not make sense. Ice and dragon were such good critters on dragon races but fairy too? Blehh, now thinkin how overpowered fairy has become, I think the Shadow type will sure do 2x to psychic, dark and ghost types. Not buyin more pokemon games, my game just bein destroyed.

-theforeveraloneteam
hurrdurr wrote:
also ribbons on its body futtering around like those things little girls play with...I'm going to assume flying type...unless they make "Fairy" or "light" a type to upset the dark and ghost types....I've always thought they would but Idk
CALLED IT!!! HE'S FROM THE FUTURE, FIND HIS TIME MACHINE!!! XD
Poke' Woman wrote:
hurrdurr wrote:
also ribbons on its body futtering around like those things little girls play with...I'm going to assume flying type...unless they make "Fairy" or "light" a type to upset the dark and ghost types....I've always thought they would but Idk
CALLED IT!!! HE'S FROM THE FUTURE, FIND HIS TIME MACHINE!!! XD

 I'm going to the timeline where the Japanese figure out how to make real live Pokemon. XD
Captainbb
It's a fairyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..oh am I too late? xD pikachu
Captainbb wrote:
It's a fairyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..oh am I too late? xD pikachu
Unfortionately it was too late. so this wont happen again i have to lock it
:
In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you enter both of the words displayed into the text field underneath.
CREATE ACCOUNT LOG IN
POST COMMENT
POKEMON EDITOR
CUSTOMIZE, MANAGE, & EDIT THE GAME!!
Edit & Create Pokemon
Select Items
Edit Trainer
Start Editing Your Game Now!
Home Menu
Pokemon News Affiliate Program Contribute Help / Contact
Our Affiliates
pokemon-rebirth
pokereview
sora
The Cave of Dragonflies
Home News Editor Store Downloads Boards Support
© 2006-2012 UltraSaves Inc.
PokEdit and UltraSaves Inc. are not affilated with Nintendo. Pokémon is a registered trademark of Nintendo.